Armstrong Siddeley Lancaster
|Manufacturer||Armstrong Siddeley Motors|
|Production||1945–1952 3597 made|
|Predecessor||Armstrong Siddeley 16hp|
|Successor||Armstrong Siddeley Whitley|
|Body style||4-door 6 light saloon|
|Engine||1991 or 2309 cc Straight-6 ohv|
|Wheelbase||115 in (2,921 mm)|
|Length||188 in (4,775 mm)|
|Width||68 in (1,727 mm)|
|Height||61 in (1,500 mm)|
|Related||Armstrong Siddeley Hurricane Armstrong Siddeley Typhoon|
The Armstrong Siddeley Lancaster was the first post-war sports saloon automobile to be made by the British company of Armstrong Siddeley. It was made from 1945 to 1952.
The chassis was all new and featured independent front suspension using torsion bars and a live rear axle with leaf springs. A Girling hydro-mechanical braking system was fitted, with the front drums hydraulically operated while those at the rear used rod and cable. Wire wheels were an option but rarely fitted.
At first the Lancaster was fitted with a 70 bhp 1991 cc six cylinder engine, carried over from the pre-war 16 hp model but from 1949 this grew to 2309 cc by increasing the cylinder bore from 65 to 70 mm. There was a choice of four speed synchromesh or pre-selector gearbox.
The four door, six light body was made of steel and aluminium panel fitted over a wooden frame and was bought in from Mulliners of Birmingham. An opening sunshine roof was standard.