Belgian automobile manufacture Liège,Belgium. Produced from 1900 to 1928
The firm Fabrique d'armes Émile et Léon Nagant, later known as L. Nagant & Cie, Liège was established in 1859 in Liège, Belgium, to manufacture firearms. It later manufactured automobiles as well.
The firm moved in to the manufacture of automobiles; Nagant made cars under licence of the French firm Rochet-Schneider. Nagant cars were made from 1900 to 1928. The firm was purchased by Impéria in 1931.
The first Nagant, made bv an manufacturer, was the opposed-piston Gobron-Brillié from France, built under licence as the Gobron-Nagant. 2 or 4- cylinder models were available, with four and eight pistons respectively.
These unconventional machines were dropped in favour of some typical Belgian car orthodox, well-made, very strong. They had chain drive and ht magneto ignition
L-head engines made their appearance on a 2.6-litre car in 1909.
The make was sold In England under the name of Nagant-Hobson. Until 1911 there was nothing about the Nagant to attract attention to it, but then came the 4-cylinder 14/16hp, which had an efficient engine capable of 3,000rpm with side valves. And was light car .And by 1913 could turn at 4,000rpm, an extremely high speed for the time.
1912 Nagant 30hp
During this period, Nagant had an outside interest in the shape of an arrangement to the French Rochet-Schneider for the Belgian film of Locomotrice,
The company's interest in competitions persisted after World War l, the Zodel used was a long-stroke 3-litre which at first had side valves, and then Overhead inlets.
The 15CV was a 4-cylinder, 2-litre machine with all-overhead Valves and Adex-type 4-wheel brakes. It was enlarged to just over 2 litres in
In 1927, a supercharged engme was exhibited at the Brussels Show, but was the end of Nagant's Interest high performance. The last new model
sv 2-litre SIX with Ricardo head, a common recipe but not for speed.
Then came absorption by Imperia, and the end of a line of fast yet Immensely durable cars.