|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
|Related||Austin Freeway Wolseley 15/60 Wolseley 16/60|
|Engine||2.4 L I6|
The Wolseley 24/80 is an automobile which was produced by British Motor Corporation (Australia) from 1962 to 1965.
The car was in most respect identical to the contemporary Austin Freeway, but employed different frontal treatment in order to maximise the perceived differences between the cars and therefore, it was hoped, attract additional buyers away from the competition. This reflected BMC's enthusiasm for badge engineering in the 1950s and 1960s.
The 24/80 was based on the British four-cylinder Wolseley 15/60 model. It was powered by a six-cylinder version of the 1622 cc B series engine, known as the "Blue Streak" straight-6 with a capacity of 2433 cc and developing 80 bhp. Coupled to the engine was a 3-speed gearbox, adapted from the Metropolitan, with synchromesh on the upper two ratios and a steering column gearchange. The radiator, which in the four-cylinder cars was mounted behind the bonnet-locking bar was now placed in front of the bonnet-locking bar, immediately behind the grille. Released in April 1962, the 24/80 was externally identical to the 15/60 except for the wheelbase, which was an inch longer. The interior was the same as that used in the 15/60. Originally it was available only with manual transmission but later a Borg Warner 35 3-speed automatic transmission was offered as an option.
The 24/80 Mark II was released in October 1964 with identical styling to the British Wolseley 16/60.Power was increased to 84 bhp and the interior trim was now in soft expanded vinyl rather than the leather used in the original model.Production of the Mark II was discontinued in October 1965 although stocks lasted until late 1966. The 24/80 Mark II thus became the last Wolseley model to be sold new in Australia.