Squire Car manufacturer
Founded Oxfordshire Great Britain
|Manufacturer||Squire Car Manufacturing Company|
|Production||1935–1936. 7 made|
|Body and chassis|
|Engine||1,496 cc Straight-4 overhead camshaft|
|Transmission||4 speed pre-selector|
|Wheelbase||102 or 125 inches (2,589 or 3,172 mm)|
The Squire Car Manufacturing Company was a British auto manufacturer of the 1930s based in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Founded as Squire Motors Ltd by 21-year-old Adrian Squire (1910–1940), formerly of Bentley and MG, the company renamed as the Squire Car Manufacturing Company produced the Squire car, which epitomised the Grand Prix car turned into road car.
After Frazer-Nash temporarily cast aside British Anzani, Squire seized the opportunity to use Anzani's R1 100 bhp (75 kW) 1,496 cc twin-cam engine. They were purchased from Anzani with a Squire emblem cast into them. Blown versions were available.
Very few were made, but it held a reputation for exceptional top speed and braking. Squire designed and built a fine rigid chassis offered in two lengths for two or four seat versions with attractive bodywork by Vanden Plas.
The car was too expensive even with cheaper bodywork from Markham of Reading, and financial difficulties ended production in 1936. A Vanden Plas two seater cost £1,220 which was Bugatti money and even the Markham cost £995.
Two or possibly three more cars were assembled from left over parts by Val Zethrin in 1938 and 1939. There were plans to resume production after the war but the lack of patterns to make the engine made this uneconomical.
Squire himself went on to join Lagonda and was working for the Bristol Aeroplane Company when killed in an air raid in 1940.