Bugatti Type 101
|1951 to 1956|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door saloon
|Related||Bugatti Type 57|
|Engine||3257 cc straight-8|
|Wheelbase||3.3 m (130 in)|
The Bugatti Type 101 is a motor car made by Bugatti from 1951 to 1956. In order to restart production after World War II and the deaths of Ettore Bugatti and his son Jean, the Type 101 was developed from the pre-war Type 57. Seven chassis were built before production ended in 1956; these were bodied by four different coachbuilders: Gangloff, Guilloré, Antem, and Ghia, the last to a design by Virgil Exner. The 101 was powered by the 3.3 L (3257 cc/198 in³) straight-8 from the Type 57.
Six Type 101 chassis were built after an initial converted Type 57 chassis prototype. At least two more Type 57s were also converted to Type 101 specifications, making a total of nine Type 101 cars produced.
The last Type 101 was built in 1965 by Ghia designed by Virgil Exner for the last remaining Type 101 chassis. It was exhibited at the Turin Motor Show in an attempt to revive the marque, but financing could not be arranged and production plans were scrapped. Exner owned the car for many years, and it has lately appeared in public at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
|1935||57314||Stelvio Cabriolet by Gangloff||Converted to Type 101 specification by the factory at the request of owner M. Dettwiler|
|1951||57454||Gangloff coupé||This car was built on a converted Type 57 chassis and exhibited at the 1951 Paris Salon. Currently at the Schlumpf Collection with engine 101503 installed.|
|1952||101500||Guillore 4-door saloon||Cream-colored, with free-standing headlights. Currently at the Schlumpf Collection.|
|1952||101501||Gangloff cabriolet||Exhibited at the 1952 Paris Salon. Light blue repainted dark blue. Formerly of the Auto & Technik Museum in Sinsheim, Germany. Now at the Pantheon museum in Basel, Switzerland.|
|1952||101502||Guillorê 2-door coach||Dark blue with portholes, the body was possibly intended for a Delahaye. This was the only 101 body to feature separate wings instead of full-width bodywork. Sold for $269,265 at the Bonhams Rétromobile auction in Paris, 2008.|
|1952||101503||Gangloff cabriolet||Currently has engine 101504 installed and displayed at the Schlumpf Collection.|
|1951||101504||Antem coupé||Exhibited at the 1951 Paris Salon de l'Automobile but not sold until 1958. Owned by Bill Harrah and Nicolas Cage and now in the O'Quinn Collection since 2006.|
|1965||101506||Virgil Exner/Ghia roadster||Ghia shortened the chassis by 46 cm (18 in). Currently owned by William Lyon.|
|T101||1951||straight-8 DOHC 16v||3257 cc||135 hp (101 kW)||Single carburetor|
|T101C||1951||straight-8 DOHC 16v||3257 cc||190 hp (142 kW)||Single carburetor, Roots supercharger|