Ferrari TR race cars
The Ferrari TR, or 250 Testa Rossa, is a race car model built by Ferrari in the 1950s and 60s. These cars dominated their arenas, with variations winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1958, 1960, and 1961. They were closely related to the rest of the Ferrari 250 line, especially the legendary 250 GTO.
In all, thirty-four 250 Testa Rossas were built, from 1956 through 1961. The phrase "Testa Rossa" means "red head." The most well known, the 250TR, was produced from 1957 to 1958; only 2 factory cars and 19 customer cars were built. After the 250 GTO, the 250 Testa Rossa is the second most valuable Ferrari model, often valued at more than US$8,000,000. A 1957 250 Testa Rossa sold on August 20, 2011 for $16,400,000, a new world record auction price for a car when inflation is ignored. It should also be noted that there was a time where this car, along with several similar models, was viewed as merely a "clapped-out" obsolete racer. They often sold for as low as $4,000 around 1965.
250 Testa Rossa
Named for the red valve covers, the original 250 TR had unorthodox bodywork by Scaglietti. The front fenders are visually separated from the central "nacelle" body, a design inspired Formula One racers, with air ducting across the front brakes and out through the open area behind the wheels, this model is often called the "Pontoon" TR. Olivier Gendebien and Phil Hill won the 24 Hours of Le Mans with the pontoon bodywork replaced by more orthodox bodywork in 1958.
The 250 TR's aerodynamic design was successful in racing but nonetheless controversial: Ferrari began changing the look soon after its production. Other, more conventional bodies were designed by Ferrari stalwarts, Pininfarina and Carrozzeria Touring. The engine had the same displacement as the rest of the 250 series but was tuned to produce far more power. The front styling of the 250 TR61 pictured served as inspiration to the current Ferrari F430 road car.
The 250 TR lines of 1960 and 1961 were dominant racers – Olivier Gendebien took Le Mans again those two years, with Paul Frère in 1960 and Phil Hill in 1961.