Ferrari 500 Mondial
|1953 to 1955|
|Production||1953 - 1955|
|Substitute||Ferrari 625 TF|
|Replaced by||Ferrari 500 TR|
|Engine||Ferrari four-cylinder in the longitudinal front line|
|Transmission||Change five plus reverse relations|
|Dimensions and weights|
|Debut||20 December 1953 at the 12 Hours of Casablanca|
|Drivers||Alberto Ascari , Luigi Villoresi and Vittorio Marzotto|
The Ferrari 500 Mondial was a car from the competition produced by Ferrari from 1953 to 1955 31 Built
The 1954 and 1955 seasons were the heyday of the four-cylinder Ferrari sports racer. The company hit its stride, earning the World Sportscar Championship in 1954 and contending in 1955 despite the legendary Mercedes-Benz team. The Ferrari sports car lineup at the beginning of 1954 was made up of the 2.0 L 500 Mondial and 3.0 L 750 Monza. The team replaced the Mondial with the 500 TR later that year, and feverishly worked to hold off Mercedes-Benz, developing the larger 857 S and six-cylinder 118 LM and 121 LM. The planned V12 sports racer family, including the 250 Monza of 1954 and planned 410 S of 1955, were less notable.
The early experiments with Lampredi's four-cylinder engine led to the creation of the famed 500 Mondial. Named to mark the world ("Mondial") championships won by Alberto Ascari, the 500 Mondial featured a 2.0 L version of Lampredi's four-cylinder engine in a small and light body with an advanced suspension. The car debuted on December 20, 1953 at the 12 Hours of Casablanca driven by Ascari and Luigi Villoresi, placing second to a 375 MM.
The 500 Mondial's 2.0 L (1985 cc/121 in³) engine was taken from the 500 F2 which won the world championship but was detuned to produce 170 hp (127 kW). It was extremely light at 720 kg (1590 lb) and handled well with a modern de Dion tube rear suspension.
The first 500 Mondials were coupes bodied by Carrozzeria Scaglietti, but Pinin Farina later created a series of barchettas. The Mondial remained competitive through the end of the decade, including an entry in the 1957 Mille Miglia.
The frame was tubular steel . The suspension was independent with wishbones front while the back ones were formed by a De Dion axle and twin radius . The brakes were hydraulic drum , while the gearbox was a five-speed and reverse. The steering was worm and sector gear and the wheels were Borrani wire .
The body ,made of aluminum and was a spyder