Ferrari 857 S
|Substitute||Ferrari 750 Monza|
|Replaced by||Ferrari 860 Monza|
|Engine||longitudinal front Ferrari four-cylinder.|
|Transmission||Five-speed manual transmission. Rear-wheel Drive.|
|Dimensions and weights|
The 857 S was a ' car from the competition produced by Ferrari in 1955 4 Built .
The 857 S was built to counter the Mercedes-Benz in the competitions of the time. For the Ferrari cars of those years, that is, the 750 Monza , the LM 118 and LM 121 does not in fact managed to achieve this purpose, and it was decided to launch this model.
In the early fifties the Ferrari used and developed mainly two types of engines for racing: the inline four-cylinder engine designed by Aurelio Lampredi and V12 of Gioacchino Colombo . These two types of engines possessed the characteristics that made them preferable according to the degree of development. For example, one of them was the consumption of fuel , and the first was less "thirsty" compared to the second . For these reasons Enzo Ferrari gave an impetus to the development of the four-cylinder. In addition, the World Championship Formula 1 of 1952 were applied rules derived from Formula 2 , and this gave a strong stimulus to the evolution of this type of engine. The first one was developed, a 2 L of displacement , was successfully mounted on the 500 F2 , who won two world titles in Formula 1 ( 1952 and 1953 ). A series of developments led to the construction of two other types of engines to four cylinders in line, which had respectively a displacement of 2.5 L and 3 L. They were installed on three racing models: the first on the TF 625 and the second on 735 S and 750 Monza .
Further evolution of this four-cylinder was the one mounted on "S 857". It had a displacement of 3.4 L, and this was the highest value achieved by this type of Ferrari engine . The model name was connected to the unit displacement (ie that related to only one cylinder ) of this engine, which was about 857 cm³ .
From "857 S" then came the 860 Monza , with shared many technical features and the line of the body . The latter was built by Scaglietti , who built the car body of both models .
The most important race that the "857 S" attended was the Tourist Trophy of 1955 , but without success; In fact, the race was won by a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR . After this race its evolution stopped, and Ferrari pointed to the next season with the development of other models, the first of which was the 860 Monza.
The car then underwent a series of positive results in competitions organized in America in 1955 and in 1956 .
The engine was an inline four-cylinder engine not supercharged longitudinal front . L ' bore and stroke were respectively 102 mm and 105 mm, carrying the displacement total 3431.93 cm³ . The cylinder block and cylinder head were manufactured from alloy light . The compression ratio was 8.5: 1, while the power from the engine maximum output was 280 hp at 6000 rpm .
The distribution was formed by a dual overhead cam head that had two valves per cylinder . The ' Power was provided by two carburetors brand Weber and model 58 DCOA / 3. The ' power was double and the corresponding apparatus included two coils .The lubrication was dry sump , while the clutch was multi .
The suspension front were independent, with wishbones, coil springs and stabilizer bar, while the rear had been formed by a de Dion , twin radius and a crossbow upper transverse. Both were fitted shock absorbers hydraulic . The brakes were hydraulic Drum on the four wheels , while the steering was worm and toothed sector . The traction was back , and the transmission was formed by a gearbox manual to five plus reverse relations .
The frame was tubular steel . The body was Spyder two-seater, and it was by Scaglietti .