Ford Anglia E04A
|Production||1939–48 55,807 units|
|Assembly||United Kingdom Australia|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2-door saloon 2-door tourer (Australia) 2-door roadster (Australia)|
|Engine||933 cc I4 1172 cc I4 (export)|
|Wheelbase||90 in (2300 mm)|
|Length||152 inches (3900 mm)|
|Width||57 in (1400 mm)|
|Height||63 in (1600 mm)|
The patriotically named first Ford Anglia, launched soon after Britain declared war on Germany in early September 1939, and given the internal Ford model code of E04A, was a facelifted version of the Ford 7Y, a simple vehicle aimed at the cheap end of the market, with few features. Most were painted Ford black. Styling was typically late-1930s, with an upright radiator. There were standard and deluxe models, the latter having better instrumentation and, on pre-war models, running boards. Both front and rear suspensions used transverse leaf springs, and the brakes were mechanical.
A bulge at the back enabled a spare wheel to be removed from its vertical outside stowage on the back of the car and stowed flat on the boot floor, which usefully increased luggage space. Some back seat leg room was sacrificed to the luggage space, being reduced from 43¾ inches in the Ford 7Y to 38½ inches in the Anglia.
1946 Ford Anglia engine
The domestic market engine was the 933 cc straight-4 side-valve engine familiar to drivers of predecessor models since 1933. The 1172 cc straight-4 engine from the Ford Ten was fitted for some export markets, including North America, where imports began for model year 1948; these cars used the slightly more aerodynamic "three-hole" grille from the 1937-8 Ford Ten 7W, prefacing the 1949 E494A facelift. They also had sealed beam headlights and small, separate parking lights mounted underneath, as well as dual tail lights, into which flashing turn signals could be added without adding additional lights. A minor styling changed was made in December 1947, with the name “Anglia” now incorporated in the top of the grille surround.
The car retained a vacuum-powered wiper with its tendency to slow down or stop above about 40 mph (64 km/h), the point at which the suction effect from the induction manifold disappeared; however, the Anglia's wipers were supported by a vacuum reservoir, which partially addressed the propensity to stop entirely when the car was accelerated.
A contemporary road test commended the Anglia's ability to pull away from 5 or 6 mph (8 or 10 km/h) in top gear. Compulsory driving tests had only recently been introduced in the UK. Most potential buyers would approach the vehicle without the benefit of formal driving tuition. The cars did have synchromesh between second and top gears, but not between first and second, so many would have sought, wherever possible, to avoid en route changes down to first.
The 2-door Anglia is similar to the 4-door E93A Ford Prefect.
Production, hindered by the closure of Ford's factory during the Second World War, ceased in 1948 after a total of 55,807 had been built. Initial sales in Britain actually began in early 1940. Production was suspended in early 1942, and resumed in mid-1945.
The E04A was also built in Australia from 1940 to 1945 and was produced in tourer and roadster body styles.The former had a rear seat and the latter was a two-seater convertible.