Lanchester Fourteen Leda LJ200
|Manufacturer||The Daimler Company Limited|
|Predecessor||Lanchester Fourteen Roadrider|
|Successor||none, Sprite withdrawn|
|Class||small luxury car|
|Body style||4-door six-light saloon (coachbuilt = Fourteen) (all-steel = Leda) 2-door drophead coupé|
|Engine||1,968 cc (120.1 cu in) 4-cylinder in-line ohv|
|Transmission||4-speed preselective self-changing gearbox and Fluid Flywheel|
|Wheelbase||8'8" 104 in (2,600 mm) track 4'4" 52 in (1,300 mm)|
|Length||14'7½" 175.5 in (4,460 mm)|
|Width||5'6" 66 in (1,700 mm)|
|Kerb weight||28 long cwt 0 qtr 0 lb (3,136 lb or 1,422 kg)|
post-war Fourteen and Leda
The new Lanchester Fourteen was displayed to the press on 9 October 1950 the day before the public announcement. The only familiar feature was the fluid flywheel and pre-selective gearbox. It was planned that when the 300,000 square feet of factory space destroyed in the Coventry raids was completed the initially coachbuilt body would be replaced with an all steel body which would reduce the car's weight, enable a price reduction and permit shipment in a form suitable for assembly overseas. The Times regarded the new car's only features of technical interest to be the laminated leaves (usually bars) of the front suspension's springing and the automatic lubrication every time the car was started and warmed up. Aside from the front suspension the new chassis differed little from its pre-war version. The engine was new, a 1968 cc "four" replacing the 1809 cc "six".
Design and specifications
details in addition to tabled data
The engine was flexibly mounted isolating torque reactions. It was fitted with a statically and dynamically balanced three bearing crankshaft; big ends fitted with steel-backed white-metal liners; three bearing camshaft with steel-backed white-metal liners; air silencer ; automatic advance and vacuum control of the distributor with over-riding hand adjustment for varying grades of fuel.
The usual Daimler transmission with fluid flywheel and pre-selective 4-speed epicyclic gearbox was provided. Hardy Spicer open propeller shaft with needle roller universal joint and hypoid bevel rear axle linked the engine and rear wheels.
The frame was of box section and cruciform braced. Suspension was independent in front using laminated torsion bars with a torsional stabilising bar. At the rear there were half-ellipticsprings. Girling hydraulic shock absorbers and Girling hydro-mechanical brakes were fitted
Wheels and tyres - disc type bolt-on wheels were fitted with low pressure cushion tyres 6.7 x 15inches.
Was an entirely new coachbuilt body. When supplied for export with the lighter all-steel body this car was known as the Lanchester Leda
Standard coachbuilt 4-door six-light body £895