Lanchester Ten and Eleven
|Manufacturer||The Daimler Company Limited|
|Production||Approx. 12,250 units|
|Body style||4-door six-light saloon|
|Engine||1,203 cc (73.4 cu in) (and 1,444 cc (88.1 cu in), 1936 only) four-cylinder in-line overhead valve water-cooled|
|Wheelbase||102.5 in (2,600 mm)track 48 in (1,200 mm)|
|Length||157.5 in (4,000 mm)|
|Width||57.75 in (1,467 mm)|
|Kerb weight||21 long cwt 0 qtr 0 lb (2,352 lb or 1,067 kg)|
|Related||Lanchester 15/18, (Daimler Light Twenty 16/20), Daimler Fifteen, BSA Ten|
The Lanchester Ten was sold by The Lanchester Motor Company Limited from its announcement in September 1932 until 1951. Quite different from previous Lanchesters it was the second (it followed the Lanchester 15/18) of Lanchester's new owner's new Daimler-linked Lanchester range.
Part of the thinking behind BSA's acquisition of Lanchester was, in consideration of the international economic depression, to extend the BSA group's range of cars into the sectors between those filled by Daimler and the three-wheeled 'cars' of BSA Cars without affecting Daimler's super-luxury image.
Ultimately the smallest Lanchester became far too expensive for the size of car it was, few were sold and production ended in 1951.
Lanchester Ten (1932–1936)
The Lanchester Ten announced in September 1932 shared its basic chassis with the BSA Ten which would be announced the following month. The design of its four-cylinder engine it shared with the six-cylinder Lanchester 15/18 (Daimler Light Twenty 16/20), which had been in production for twelve months, and its engine represented just four-sixths of the 1805 cc Daimler Fifteen announced with this Ten. The smallest Lanchester ever produced it was also the one produced in the greatest numbers, with approximately 12,250 sold.
Design and specifications
The new engine's four-cylinder design was on the same general lines as the six-cylinder Lanchester 15/18 (not Eighteen) though with a much reduced bore and stroke taking down the swept volume from 2,504 cubic centimetres (153 cu in) to 1,203 cubic centimetres (73 cu in). Its crankshaft was provided with three main bearings. A 1287 cc, 40 b.h.p. (at 4,000 r.p.m.) version was produced, with a 7.4:1 compression ratio, and 60 lbs. ft. maximum torque at 2,000 r.p.m.
The overhead valves had single springs but there were return springs to keep the rockers to the pushrods. Engine accessories were mounted: distributor on a level with the cylinder head, the coil just in front. The petrol pump, oil filter and oil diprod were mounted aft of the distributor.
Engine timing was by chain and could be regulated by swivelling the dynamo mounted on the engine's offside. The flywheel and gearbox formed a single unit with the engine which was slightly inclined and held to the chassis at four points on rubber.
This was the first small car to have the Daimler fluid flywheel transmission.
The preselection finger and thumb lever was just under the steering wheel on the near side and so worked by the left hand. There was a stop for reverse.
Power was delivered to the wheels by Daimler fluid flywheel and Wilson four-speed preselective self-changing gearbox through a propeller shaft which was open and had mechanical joints. The back axle had half-floating underslung worm drive
Until modifications were made there were difficulties with excessive vibration from oil surge in the fluid flywheel when picking up under heavy load at low speed.
The frame had the popular cruciform or X channelled sectioned cross membering. The unit of engine, fluid flywheel and self changing gearbox was held at four points on rubber, the two points in front being close together and on the cross member.
Half elliptical springs wide-set to prevent roll were fitted with hydraulic shock absorbers. In front they were shackled forwards, flat, sloped, and splayed—there were no dumb irons, while at the back the springs and frame were also under the axle.
Steering was by cam and lever. The four-wheel brakes were initially Lockheed hydraulic. The hand brake lever operated on the back wheels using cables. Tyres were 4.5 x 19 inches
Standard six-light four-door saloon body
"This body provides full room for four persons with a level floor. There are two cupboards, four pockets, a sliding roof, safety glass and other usual fittings but no ash trays. The windscreen opens. The spare wheel is behind the luggage rack at the back. The generous wheelbase and the absence of a gearlever in the floor gives excellent entrance and exit through all four doorways." motoring correspondent The Times
The motoring correspondent of The Times also reported "the saloon will keep up 50 easily, even under load, and will do about 60 on the level. The Ten h.p. Lanchester 6-light saloon is a car de luxe by its transmission which gives the greatest smoothness and simplicity, rapid acceleration, and additional safety, and also by its design, general finish, and quietness in running.
- chassis £240
- standard saloon £315 with sliding roof and green leather upholstery
- sports saloon £335
- sports open car £350
Lanchester Eleven (1935-1939)
Upgrade for 1935
An increase of engine size from 1203 cc to 1444 cc was announced on 14 August 1935. Although the engine's Tax rating was now 10.8 hp the recent reduction in the rate of tax meant the charge was less.
Steering which was by cam and lever now by worm and nut. Four wheel brakes now mechanical by Girling. Maximum speed was reported as having moved up to 65 mph.
Facelift for 1937
The saloon now conformed more to the style of the new Lanchester Fourteen Roadrider which had replaced the Light Six.
Small improvements had been made to the engine which increased the power output and improved the smoothness of running. The engine coolant now had a pump and thermostatically controlled bypass.