Morris Oxford II
|Production||1954–1956 87,341 produced|
|Assembly||United Kingdom Australia|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door saloon 2-door estate|
|Engine||1489 cc B-Series Straight-4|
|Wheelbase||97 in (2,500 mm)|
|Length||171 in (4,300 mm)|
|Width||65 in (1,700 mm)|
|Height||63 in (1,600 mm)|
The Oxford was redesigned for 1954 after the formation of BMC, notably getting the Austin-designed B-Series OHV straight-4. This modern 1.5 L (1489 cc/90 in3) engine produced a respectable 50 hp (37 kW) and allowed the Oxford to reach 74 mph (119 km/h). Hydraulic drum brakes all round were still used but increased to 9-inch (230 mm) diameter. Steering was still of the conventional rack and pinion type.
Styling was revised with perhaps less of a Morris Minor look, though the rounded body still had a family resemblance. Again, a pair of four-seat configurations, 4-door saloon and 2-door Traveller, were offered. The column gear change and front bench seat allowed the saloon to be advertised as a full six-seater. The handbrake lever was located between the side of the seat and the driver's side door. Unusually for a British car of its class at the time, the heater was a standard fitting but the radio remained an extra. Sales remained strong when the Series III arrived in 1956.
The British Motor magazine tested a Series II saloon in 1954 recording a top speed of 74.2 mph (119.4 km/h) and acceleration from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 28.9 seconds and a fuel consumption of 28.2 miles per imperial gallon (10.0 L/100 km; 23.5 mpg-US). The test car cost £744 including taxes.
The 1955 Morris Oxford series 2 Traveller
A six-cylinder version was sold as the Morris Isis.
Hindustan Motors India produced the four-cylinder version of this car (except the air-vent situated upon the bonnet) naming it Hindustan Landmaster.