Morris Cowley Flatnose
|Production||1926–1931 201,692 made.|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2 and 4 seat tourer, coupé, 4-door saloon, folding head saloon (1930).|
|Engine||1548 cc side-valve Straight-4|
|Wheelbase||102 inches (2560 mm)|
|Length||150 inches (3810 mm)|
|Width||58.5 inches (1486 mm)|
|Predecessor||Morris Cowley (1919)|
|Successor||Morris Cowley (1931)|
The Bullnose radiator was replaced by a more conventional flat radiator announced 11 September 1926 on new cars now with doors either side and a longer list of accessories supplied as standard. All steel bodies were coming available. The engines remained the same, but the Cowley unlike the Oxford, retained braking on the rear wheels only as standard, although a front brake system was available at extra cost (featured car has this fitted). The chassis was new and the suspension was updated with semi elliptic leaf springs all round plus Smiths friction type scissor shock absorbers. The brakes are rod and spring operated with cams inside the drums to actuate. Interesting to note that the rear brake drums include two sets of shoes, one of which is connected directly to the handbrake.
The chassis was further modified in 1931 to bring it in line with the Morris Major. Wire wheels became an option instead of the solid spoked artillery ones previously fitted.