Nissan Skyline R31
|1985 to 1989|
7th SKYLINE(1985–1987)Nissan Pintara (Australian 4-cylinder models).
|Production||1985–1989 309,716 units sold|
|Assembly||Musashimurayama, Japan Australia|
|Designer||Shinichiro Sakurai Naganori Ito|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan 4-door hardtop 2-door coupe 5-door station wagon|
|Related||Nissan Laurel Nissan Leopard Nissan Pintara|
|Engine||1.8 L CA18I I4 2.0 L CA20E I4 2.0 L RB20E I6 2.0 L RB20ET I6 2.0 L RB20DE I6 2.0 L RB20DET I6 2.0 L RB20DET-R I6 3.0 L RB30E I6 2.8 L Diesel RD28 I6|
|Wheelbase||2,615 mm (103.0 in)|
|Length||4,650 mm (183.1 in)|
|Width||1,690 mm (66.5 in)|
|Height||1,385 mm (54.5 in)|
The R31 Skyline introduced many new technologies and features. The HR31 was the first Skyline to be equipped with the new RB-series of engines. The R31 RB engines are often referred to as "Red Top" engines because of the red cam covers. There were three variants. The earliest series of DOHC RB engines used the NICS (Nissan Induction Control System) injection system with 12 very small intake runners, and a butterfly system to divide the intake ports in half for better low RPM performance. Later versions used ECCS (Electronically Concentrated Control System) engine management, discarded the twelve tiny runners for six much larger ones (though they retained twelve ports on the head, so there was a splitter plate), and received a slightly larger turbocharger. Nissan's RD28, a 2.8 straight-6 engine, featured for a diesel option. Another technological first for the R31 was the introduction of Nissan's proprietary 4-wheel steering system, dubbed HICAS (High Capacity Active Steering). The R31 series were also the only models in the Skyline family to feature a 4-door hardtop variation. These models were generally badged as the Passage GT.
The R31 Skyline was also produced in Australia, with a 3.0 L motor (RB30E) available in sedan or wagon form, as well as a four-cylinder version called the Nissan Pintara. The wagon had the same front style as the coupe and sedan—the only difference being that it lacked the four round brake lights that had been a consistent element of Skyline design (except for the R31 series one/two which had rectangular taillights with a solid bar through the centre which was also shared by the Pintara). These cars were manufactured in Australia due to the heavy import laws which made it expensive to bring cars into Australia.
29,305 R31 Skylines were also manufactured and sold in South Africa in 4-door sedan form between 1987 and 1992. These were the last Skylines seen in South Africa. Power came from either the RB30E 3.0 straight-6 motor, RB20E 2.0 straight-6 motor or the CA20S 4-cylinder powerplant.
The ultimate version of the R31 was the RB20DET-R powered HR31 GTS-R Coupe of which 800 units were built to allow homologation for Group A Touring Car racing. It had a reworked version of the normal RB20DET with a much larger turbocharger on a tubular steel exhaust manifold, as well as a much larger front-mounted intercooler boosting power to a factory claimed 210 ps (154 kW), with racing versions making over 430 hp (321 kW) in Group A trim.
- 1800 C, 1800 Excel and 1800 Passage – 1.8 L CA18S SOHC I4, 90 hp (66 kW)
- GT Excel D, GT Passage D – 2.8 L Diesel RD28 SOHC I6, 92 hp (68 kW, 173 N m)
- GT Excel, GT Passage – 2.0 L RB20E SOHC I6, 128 hp (96 kW)
- GT Excel Twin Cam 24V, GT Passage Twin Cam 24V – 2.0 L RB20DE DOHC I6, 155 hp (114 kW)
- GT Passage Turbo – 2.0 L RB20ET SOHC turbo I6, 167 hp (125 kW, 206 N m)
- GT Passage Twin Cam 24V Turbo – 2.0 L RB20DET DOHC turbo I6, 180 hp (133 kW, 225 N m)
- GTS – 2.0 L RB20DE DOHC I6, 155 hp (114 kW)
- GTS Turbo – 2.0 L RB20DET DOHC I6, 180 hp (133 kW, 225 N m)
- GTS-X – 2.0 L RB20DET DOHC turbo I6, 190 hp (141 kW, 240 N m)
- GTS-R – 2.0 L RB20DET-R DOHC turbo I6, 210 hp (154 kW, 245 N m)
- GTS Autech – 2.0 L RB20DET-R DOHC turbo I6, 210 hp (154 kW, 245 N m)
- Pintara – 2.0 L CA20E I4, 102 hp (78 kW, 160 N m)
- GX, Executive, GXE, Silhouette, Ti – 3.0 L RB30E SOHC I6, 157 hp (117 kW, 252 N m)
- Silhouette GTS1 – 3.0 L RB30E SOHC I6, 176 hp (130 kW, 255 N m)
- Silhouette GTS2 – 3.0 L RB30E SOHC I6, 190 hp (140 kW, 270 N m)
- 2.0GL, 2.0GLE – 2.0 L CA20S I4, 106 hp (78 kW, 163 N m)
- 2.0SGLi – 2.0 L RB20E SOHC I6, 115 hp (85 kW, 174 N m)
- 3.0SGLi – 3.0 L RB30E SOHC I6, 171 hp (126 kW, 260 N m)