Russo-Balt or Russo-Baltique was one of the first Russian companies that produced cars between 1909 and 1923.
Between 1909 and 1915 the cars were built at the railway car factory RBVZ. After the 1917 revolution a second factory was opened in St. Petersburg, where they built armoured cars on chassis produced in Riga.
The first Russo-Baltique, called the 24/30hp, appeared in 1909. It had a 4-cylinder engine of 4 1/2 litres' capacity. Three years later, there were four models, including the 24/30hp, all with four cylinders, the biggest a of 7.2 litres. Russo-Baltique, performed to some purpose in trials of the period.
Production ceased at the outbreak of war, in 1915, before a plan to make Hispano-Suizas under licence could get under way.
In 1922, the production was moved from St. Petersburg to BTAZ in Moscow. Russo-Balt produced trucks, buses and cars, often more or less copies of cars from the German Rex-Simplex or Belgian Fondu Trucks. A few cars were assembled at the factory in 1922, being almost certainly the first passenger cars to be made in Russia after the Revolution.
Only two original cars have survived to the present day. One is a Russo-Balt fire engine built on truck chassis Type D in year 1912. Car is on display at the Riga Motor Museum in Latvia. Another one is Russo-Balt K12/20 from 1911, is shown at the Polytechnical Museum in Moscow, Russia.
Today in Riga, Latvia, there is a company named Russo-Balt that manufactures trailers.
Russo Balt Type C
- 24-30 (1909)
- Type C (1909)
- C24-30 (1909)
- C24-30 Faeton (≥ 1909)
- Landole C24-30 (1909)
- C24-40 (1913)
- C24-50 (1909/'10/'1/'2)
- C24-58 (1909/'10/'1/'2/'3)
- C24-30 (1909)
- Type K (1909)
- K12-20 (1909)
- Type E (1914)
- Impression (2006)
- Type C (1912) (based on normal model)
- Blinded versions of different models (1914)
- Type D (1912)
- Type M (1913)
- Type T (1913)